A Travellerspoint blog

Quilpie to Longreach

sunny 36 °C

We drove into Quilpie this morning and refuelled then visited the Catholic Church which has a wonderful alter and lectern made with opal.
wonderful alter and lectern made with opal.
We continued on the “The End of the Line” and took a photo of Hiroe there. This is the end of the rail line from Brisbane.2013_Aug_3..of_the_line.jpg
Next stop was to the local Info centre where as well as gaining some good data we filled the van with water. (well – the water tanks anyway). Opposite was the local hotel so took a photo here.
We then drove 7.5 km out of town on a very rough track to have a look at Baldy Top. Hiroe wouldn’t let me drive up with the caravan on so we had to park at the bottom and walk up.
The views from up here were very good, a 360 deg view all around.
Back on the road and we headed out for Windorah some 250 km south west. The road for most of the way was single lane bitumen (remember Barkley to Cape Crawford last year Pommy Bob?) which means that when meeting oncoming traffic someone has to get off onto the gravel. We did this most of the time so that rocks etc. wouldn’t be thrown up at us as vehicles passed.
The scenery along this stretch of road is pretty boring and as well as that it takes a lot of concentration where driving on such a narrow, and sometimes bumpy, road.
There were a few nice red sand hills on the way, nothing like around Birdsville but nice enough. Took a photo of Hiroe with one in the background.
We finally arrived at Coopers Creek and set up camp here for the night. There are pelicans on the water as well as other birds.
The following morning we drove the 10km into Windorah and on the way came across a solar power plant which almost supplies all of the town’s energy.
There was an interesting sign just before the town letting folk know that if they missed this hotel – it was a long way to the next one.
We had a look at some red hills just the other side of Windorah, on the way to Birdsville but nothing really spectacular.
A visit to the local Info Centre and next to it was a slab hut which had been moved here.
Onwards then to Jundah but along the way was quite boring with almost nothing to be seen.
Jundah has some nice entry signs to the town but not very much more to talk about or to photograph.
About 30km north of the town we came across a Native Well so we had to stop and take a photo.
Continuing on we came across the very small town of Stonehenge and after a bit of discussion we refuelled and decided to spend the night here in the self-registration caravan park which supplies power and water with hot showers for $10.00 a night. Hiroe fed some nice looking Top Knot Pigeons here – they don’t seem to be afraid of humans at all.
After a nice quiet night at Stonehenge we left towards Longreach. Not far out of town we came across one of (about the only) the things Stonehenge is noted for. Lots of stones a folk have used them to write their names on the side of the road so we added to them.
Further down the track we saw a gateway into “NOWHERE” so took a photo of Hiroe opening a closing the gate.
The road here is very narrow and the oncoming traffic refuses to move over causing us to have to get right off the road into the rough. When we finally reach Longreach we discovered that the rough treatment has broken the torsion bars on the caravans suspension so will have to get it fixed. As it turned out Bob has a cousin here who's job is as a welder so we spent Monday with him snd his wife while performed the necessary repairs to the van.

Posted by Bobmacc 00:03 Archived in Australia Tagged to longreach quilpie Comments (1)

Morven to Quilpie

sunny 34 °C

The village of Morven consists of 250 people, a Pub, a general store and a Police Station with lockup. Don't know where all the criminals come from.
There are quite a few very old houses in the town - some of them obviously not lived in.
We did a short walk around town and found an old steam traction engine so took a photo with Hiroe.
The campground here has a lot of customers, including some folk on a "follow me" tour.
We were visited by a female kangaroo and a joey in her pouch just before sunset.
The local rugby field sure leaves a lot to be desired. Dalton (grandson) - can you imagine doing a slide into touch on this ground. Must be very hard on the players skin.

We left Morven Thursday morning after a very good sleep and drove to Charleville which is the second largest town in the west of Queensland after Longreach. We visited the Info Centre refuelled and did a little grocery shopping before leaving to have lunch at a roadside stop about 30km west of town.
On the way we came across a sign listing the road we were on as the longest road in Australia. (Doesn't include Highways etc)
Continuing west we came across a very small town of Cooladdi - population 4. All that is here is a shop which covers everything - fuel groceries, motel, hotel take away food etc.
The railway station building was moved to the towns (?) tennis court however the courts have been overgrown with weeds and no longer in use.
Next stop was Cheepie which once had a reasonable population - today only 1. There was a Police Station, blacksmith, tent boarding houses, a butcher shop, a bakery and 2 organic vegetable gardens. Today all that remains is a residence come post office (closed today) and the old railway station. Cheepie was once the end of the rail from Brisbane before the line was extended to Quilpie.
We drove on to 1 km from Quilpie (population 654) and have camped on the banks of the Bulloo River for the night.
You might wonder what we are doing out here in the middle of nowhere - We have never been west of Charleville on this road so thats why. It has to be done.
なぜこんな辺鄙なところでキャラバン旅行しているのかと思われると思いますが理由は簡単、今までチャーリビルの町から西 には来たことがないからです。、

Posted by Bobmacc 00:59 Archived in Australia Tagged to morven quilpie Comments (0)

Mitchell to Morven in Queensland

A huge drive of 84 kms

sunny 24 °C

We spent a wonderful 4 days on the bank of the Neil Turner Weir at Mitchell. It was very relaxing.
The Inverter we used to change 12v to 240 for charging the telephone laptop etc and to run the TV decided to die so on Monday we drove 86 km to Roma to purchase a new one. (None suitable could be found in Mitchell). We also went the the court house in Roma and pre poll voted for the coming Federal Election since we wont be home in time.
The area around here is in severe drought, the fields are brown and there is no water in any of the roadside dams. Huge herds of cattle are being driven by drovers on horses to eat what feed there is along the roadside (It's called the "Long Paddock"). We came across a herd of well over 500 crossing the road on our way back from Roma.
Tuesday was a rest day at neil Turner Weir We spent most of the day looking at the water and birds and reading books.
Late in the afternoon after all wind had died down, the water became very smooth and the reflections were great.
On Wednesday (28th August) we drove a short distance to the small village of Morven where we will camp for the night. It reqires a "Donation" of $5.00 for electricity and water with hot showers for the night. Pretty cheap.

Posted by Bobmacc 19:08 Archived in Australia Tagged to mitchell morven Comments (0)

Talwood to Mitchell

We departed talwood and stopped at Nindigully Pub for morning tean. They have done a lot of work since we were here last year.. There was a 4 wheel push bike in the yard.
This is the pub with a sign "Free Beer yesterday" we always seem to miss out.
We left Nindigully and drove to St George where we had lunch at the same spot that we have beet to before. After lunch we started the drive towards Mitchell.
On the way we came across many emus and kangaroos.
We also came across a very nice sign at the entrance to a Cattle Station.
We camped for the night just 40 km south of Mitchell on the banks of a river.
Next morning it was on again and came across a sculpture commemorating the exploits of the bushrangers, The Kenniff Brothers who were captured here.
We arrived finally at Mitchell and set up camp on the banks of the Neil Turner Weir. It is lovely here.
2013_Aug_2..Turner_Weir.<br />jpgD16B9FDE2219AC68174836889C07B931.jpg

Posted by Bobmacc 03:28 Comments (0)

Heading north

Arrawarra to Talwood in Queensland

semi-overcast 20 °C
View 2013 Trip to Queensland on Bobmacc's travel map.

After saying goodbye to Naomi and Dalton we drove north to grafton then turned west and up the Gibralter Range. There were some very good lookouts on the way as well as road maintenance workers making repairs to the road due to some severe land slipages.
We finally arrived at Glen Innes where we took some time to have a look around the Standing Stones and environs. Bob tried without success to pull Excaliber from the rock.
There are some wonderful old buildings in Glen Innes and the Town Hall is and example.
We drove on to Inverell where we purchased an addition to Hiroes jewellry collection (a $900.00 dark blue saphire ring) - Local product.
Onwards then to Warialda where we have camped for the night in a very large rest area well off the road.

After a VERY COLD night at Warialda we departed at about 8.30 am on the Thursday. We travelled to North Star which is a rail siding for grain crops. The town is quite run down as can be seen from the attached photo.
Even the railway station has been removed - all that remains is the station sign.
After morning tea we drove on and across the State border into Queensland at Goodiwindi. We had a pleasant stroll around the CBD. Some lovely old buildings here - The Victoria Hotel was one of them.
We had lunch in the towns park then continued on to the small town of Talwood. We have camped for the night in the local recreation area where we have stayed before. Free hot showers and power for the van which means that if it gets cold tonight we'll have the electric blanket on.

Posted by Bobmacc 21:20 Archived in Australia Tagged in to queensland arrawarra talwood Comments (1)

(Entries 6 - 10 of 12) « Page 1 [2] 3 »